To apply for this position, email us at email@example.com. Be sure to attach your cover letter & resume.
Reports To: Program Manager
Position Time: 1.0 FTE; some evening and weekend work
The bilingual, bicultural Latino Peer Support Specialist (PSS) will serve as an advocate and representative by providing support, encouragement and assistance to individuals with mental health challenges, addictions or dually diagnoses, their caregivers and/or their family members. The PSS will promote those activities that foster recovery and empowerment by sharing their personal experiences when appropriate, modeling self-help and wellness activities. The PSS is a consumer advocate who facilitates linkage to needed services and activities.
PSS will assist with their recovery of mental illness and/ or substance abuse and provides and expertise that professionals training does not provide to mental health consumers, caregivers and/or family members through expertise developed by lived experiences. PSS does not perform clinical consultation, assessment and intervention or case management. The PSS will provide assistance with referrals to community mental health recovery education, and support programs as well as help with common community reentry resources and assistance for clients and families. This program will offer assistance that is culturally diverse and bilingual.
- A self- identified person currently or formerly receiving mental health or addiction services or having a close family member who currently or formerly received services.
- If applicable, grounded in his/her personal recovery if self- identifying as an individual receiving mental health or addiction services. Familiar with recovery principals if identifying as a family member of a person with mental health disorder.
- Ability to speak, read and write English and Spanish and be bicultural Latino/a
- Ability to meet participants “where they are at.” Meeting client at home, or public locations.
- Provide PSS services which include mitigation of healthcare access and utilization barriers; provision of appropriate referrals; and, person and their families who experience mental illness and addiction
- Work with a Quality Health Care Provider or a Certified Drug and Alcohol Counselor to support their cases.
- Represent and promote the program to community members and other agencies.
- Maintain necessary and timely written documentation and data entry in Best Notes for this project and the attached activities.
- Participated in the on-going development of the project and in planning for follow-up projects.
- As needed, follow HIPAA requirements and assure confidentiality for participants (e.g., protect personal identifying information, maintain records in locked files, transmitted records).
- Provide reports to the Program Manager.
- Complete all required reports in a timely and precise manner.
- Complete all other duties as assigned.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent, but a BA/ BS college degree is preferred.
- Must be willing to successfully complete training or already be a certified Peer Support Specialist training/ certification
- Bilingual Spanish required.
- Must be able to pass a background check
- An understanding of trauma informed work as well as those youth and adults who are affected by adverse childhood experiences.
- Ability to multi-task
- High energy, self-directed, organized
- Able to work independently and take direction
- Works well with others
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Can work as part of a team
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Valid driver’s license, reliable car, and automobile insurance
This position requires frequent and lengthy standing, speaking in a loud voice and ability to lift at least 30 pounds. Also, work is often performed in an office environment and involves frequent use of a computer. Frequent use of phones to communicate with current and potential partners and volunteers. Will drive to perform work with the community. May require occasional travel out-of-town. Able to work a flexible, non-traditional work schedule that will include evening and weekend work periods.
Benefits: Major health and dental insurance, vacation/personal leave.
Wage: $18 per hour to $19.50 per hour, depending upon experience.