Job Title: Prevention Specialist Community Health Worker
Position Time: 1.0 FTE; some evening and weekend
Job Summary: The Prevention Specialist Community Health Worker (PSCHW) supports Northwest Family Services (NWFS) and the staff to meet the grant goals and objectives of the SPF-PFS. The PSCHW is responsible for the day-to-day administration and project coordination of the components of the SPF-PFS grant that relate to North Clackamas County (NCC) and will also support the Latinx initiatives and components of the East Multnomah County Coalition (EMCC). The Community Health Worker will provide prevention education to increase community awareness about substance abuse prevention. The PSCHW will provide support and report to the Program Director. The PSCHW will create and support the Latino and Youth Advisory Boards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works as a team member with the NWFS staff, the coalition staff, and the Lead Epidemiologist, to meet the grant goals and objectives
- Continually broadens expertise in the area of drug and alcohol prevention as well as coalition development to serve as a resource person for the Latino Advisory Board and the Youth Advisory Board.
- Implements the grant program plan consisting of various strategies for alcohol and marijuana prevention
- Builds, supports and sustains community volunteers and leaders for local alcohol and marijuana prevention initiatives, leadership, and messaging for expanded outreach capacity specific to the Latino and Youth communities.
- Attends and/or presents at necessary workshops, training, and events
- Develops and maintains strong collaborative partnerships with key stakeholders and community partners for involvement in prevention initiatives
- Uses existing community assessments (and helps with assessment activities as needed) to advance the selected strategies that reduce alcohol and marijuana related disparities.
- Maintains statistics and prepares reports in accordance with grant reporting requirements.
- Attend and/or present at necessary workshops, training, and events as a representative of NWFS and the coalition(s)
Additional knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to relate to and motivate diverse members of the community
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to remain versatile and flexible while simultaneously managing multiple tasks
- Attend all staff meetings and development as required.
- Must be committed to organizational mission and fiscal responsibility.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Community Health, Health Education, Prevention or other related field. Certified Prevention Specialist or Community Health Worker license a plus. Bilingual & Bicultural, English and Spanish required.
Preferred qualifications beyond minimum required:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with Office 2016 and social networking
- Valid driver’s license, reliable car, and automobile insurance.
Travel: Some traveling (monthly trainings, 40-60 hours a year at regional/out-of-state trainings).
Salary Range: $36,000 to $37,000 annually
Submit cover letter, resume, and job application (found at www.nwfs.org/images/stories/Employment_Application.pdf) to:
Northwest Family Services
6200 SE King Rd
Portland, OR 97222